basename (1) - Linux Man Pages
basename: strip directory and suffix from filenames
basename - strip directory and suffix from filenames
SYNOPSISbasename ,NAME /[,SUFFIX/]
basename ,OPTION/... ,NAME/...
Print NAME with any leading directory components removed. If specified, also remove a trailing SUFFIX.
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
- -a, --multiple
- support multiple arguments and treat each as a NAME
- -s, --suffix=,SUFFIX/
- remove a trailing SUFFIX; implies -a
- -z, --zero
- end each output line with NUL, not newline
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
- basename /usr/bin/sort
- -> "sort"
- basename include/stdio.h .h
- -> "stdio"
- basename -s .h include/stdio.h
- -> "stdio"
- basename -a any/str1 any/str2
- -> "str1" followed by "str2"
AUTHORWritten by David MacKenzie.
REPORTING BUGSGNU coreutils online help: <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/>
Report basename translation bugs to <https://translationproject.org/team/>
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.