deliver (1) - Linux Manuals
deliver: Dovecot's local mail delivery agent
NAMEdovecot-lda - Dovecot's local mail delivery agent
SYNOPSISdovecot-lda [-ek] [-a address] [-c config_file] [-d username] [-f envelope_sender] [-m mailbox] [-o setting=value] [-p path]
DESCRIPTIONThe dovecot-lda is a local mail delivery agent which takes mail from an MTA and delivers it to a user's mailbox, while keeping Dovecot index files up to date.
Main features of the dovecot-lda are:
- Mailbox indexing during mail delivery, providing faster mailbox access later
- Quota enforcing by the quota plugin
- Sieve language support by the Pigeonhole sieve plugin
OPTIONSOptions accepted by dovecot-lda:
- Destination address (e.g. user+ext [at] domain). Default is the same as username.
- Alternative configuration file path.
- Destination username. If given, the user information is looked up from userdb. Typically used with virtual users, but not necessarily with system users.
- If mail gets rejected, write the rejection reason to stderr and exit with status 77 (EX_NOPERM). The default is to send a rejection mail ourself.
- Envelope sender address.
- Don't clear all environment at startup.
- Destination mailbox (default is INBOX). If the mailbox doesn't exist, it will not be created (unless the lda_mailbox_autocreate setting is set to yes). If a message couldn't be saved to the mailbox for any reason, it's delivered to INBOX instead.
- Overrides the configuration setting from /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf and from the userdb with the given value. In order to override multiple settings, the -o option may be specified multiple times.
- Path to the mail to be delivered instead of reading from stdin. If using maildir the file is hard linked to the destination if possible. This allows a single mail to be delivered to multiple users using hard links, but currently it also prevents deliver from updating cache file so it shouldn't be used unless really necessary.
EXIT STATUSdovecot-lda will exit with one of the following values:
- Delivery was successful. (EX_OK)
- Invalid parameter given. (EX_USAGE)
- -e option was used and mail was rejected. Typically this happens when user is over quota and quota_full_tempfail = no is configured. (EX_NOPERM)
- A temporary failure. This is returned for almost all failures. See the log file for details. (EX_TEMPFAIL)
- Dovecot's main configuration file.
- Mailbox locations and namespaces.
- LDA specific settings.
- Plugin specific settings.
- Quota configuration.
REPORTING BUGSReport bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot [at] dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is available at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html
SEE ALSOdoveadm(1), dovecot(1), doveconf(1), dsync(1)
Related MTA specific documentation:
- The accept router
- Generic options for transports
- The pipe transport