gedit (1) - Linux Man Pages
gedit: text editor for the GNOME Desktop
gedit [OPTION...] [FILE...] [+LINE[:COLUMN]]
gedit [OPTION...] -
DESCRIPTIONgedit is the official text editor of the GNOME desktop environment.
While aiming at simplicity and ease of use, gedit is a powerful general purpose text editor. It can be used to create and edit all kinds of text files.
gedit features a flexible plugin system which can be used to dynamically add new advanced features to gedit itself.
- Set the character encoding to be used for opening the files listed on the command line.
- Display list of possible values for the encoding option and exit.
- Create a new toplevel window in an existing instance of gedit.
- Create a new document in an existing instance of gedit.
- -s, --standalone
- Run gedit in standalone mode.
- -w, --wait
- Open files and block the gedit process.
- Prints the command line options.
- Output version information and exit.
- Specifies the file to open when gedit starts. If this is not specified, gedit will load a blank file with an "Unsaved Document" label. Multiple files can be loaded if they are separated by spaces. gedit also supports handling of remote files. For example, you can pass the location of a webpage to gedit , like "http://www.gnome.org", or load a file from a FTP server, like "ftp://ftp.gnome.org/robots.txt".
- gedit will read from stdin
- For the first file, go to the line specified by LINE (do not insert a space between the "+" sign and the number). If LINE is missing, go to the last line.
For the first file, go to the column specified by COLUMN.
If COLUMN is missing, go to the first column.
BUGSIf you find a bug, please report it at the GNOME bug tracker. See https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Gedit/ReportingBugs.
AUTHORSPaolo Maggi (paolo [at] gnome.org)
- Paolo Borelli (pborelli [at] gnome.org)
- Steve Frécinaux (code [at] istique.net)
- Jesse van den Kieboom (jessevdk [at] gnome.org)
- Ignacio Casal Quinteiro <icq [at] gnome.org>
- James Willcox (jwillcox [at] gnome.org)
- Federico Mena Quintero (federico [at] novell.com)
- Chema Celorio