md5sum (1) - Linux Man Pages
md5sum: compute and check MD5 message digest
md5sum - compute and check MD5 message digest
SYNOPSISmd5sum [,OPTION/]... [,FILE/]...
Print or check MD5 (128-bit) checksums.
With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.
- -b, --binary
- read in binary mode
- -c, --check
- read MD5 sums from the FILEs and check them
- create a BSD-style checksum
- -t, --text
- read in text mode (default)
- -z, --zero
- end each output line with NUL, not newline, and disable file name escaping
The following five options are useful only when verifying checksums:
- don't fail or report status for missing files
- don't print OK for each successfully verified file
- don't output anything, status code shows success
- exit non-zero for improperly formatted checksum lines
- -w, --warn
- warn about improperly formatted checksum lines
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
The sums are computed as described in RFC 1321. When checking, the input should be a former output of this program. The default mode is to print a line with checksum, a space, a character indicating input mode ('*' for binary, ' ' for text or where binary is insignificant), and name for each FILE.
BUGSDo not use the MD5 algorithm for security related purposes. Instead, use an SHA-2 algorithm, implemented in the programs sha224sum(1), sha256sum(1), sha384sum(1), sha512sum(1), or the BLAKE2 algorithm, implemented in b2sum(1)
AUTHORWritten by Ulrich Drepper, Scott Miller, and David Madore.
REPORTING BUGSGNU coreutils online help: <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/>
Report md5sum translation bugs to <https://translationproject.org/team/>
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
SEE ALSOFull documentation at: <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/md5sum>
or available locally via: info '(coreutils) md5sum invocation'