pmdasummary (1) - Linux Man Pages
pmdasummary: summary performance metrics domain agent (PMDA)
NAMEpmdasummary - summary performance metrics domain agent (PMDA)
SYNOPSIS$PCP_PMDAS_DIR/summary/pmdasummary [-d domain] [-h helpfile] [-l logfile] [-U username] pmie-command-line
DESCRIPTIONpmdasummary is a Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which derives performance metrics values from values made available by other PMDAs. pmdasummary consists of two processes:
- pmie process
- The inference engine for performance values pmie(1) is used to periodically sample values for the base metrics and compute the derived values. This process is launched with the given pmie-command-line arguments by the main process, described below.
- main process
- The main process reads and buffers the values computed by pmie(1) and makes them available to the performance metrics collector daemon pmcd(1).
A brief description of the pmdasummary command line options follows:
- It is absolutely crucial that the performance metrics domain number specified here is unique and consistent. That is, domain should be different for every PMDA on the one host, and the same domain number should be used for the same PMDA on all hosts.
- This option specifies an alternative help text file helpfile for describing the metrics that pmdasummary represents.
- Location of the log file. By default, a log file named summary.log is written in the current directory of pmcd(1) when pmdasummary is started, i.e. $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd. If the log file cannot be created or is not writable, output is written to the standard error instead.
- User account under which to run the agent. The default is the unprivileged "pcp" account in current versions of PCP, but in older versions the superuser account ("root") was used by default.
INSTALLATIONIf you want access to the names, help text and values for the summary performance metrics, do the following as root:
# cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/summary # ./Install
If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root:
# cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/summary # ./Remove
- command line options used to launch pmdasummary
- default pmie(1) expressions defining the summary metrics
- default help text for the summary metrics
- installation script for the pmdasummary agent
- undo installation script for the pmdasummary agent
- default log file for error messages and other information from pmdasummary