znew (1) - Linux Manuals
znew: recompress .Z files to .gz files
znew - recompress .Z files to .gz files
SYNOPSISznew [ -ftv9PK] [ name.Z ... ]
DESCRIPTIONZnew recompresses files from .Z (compress) format to .gz (gzip) format. If you want to recompress a file already in gzip format, rename the file to force a .Z extension then apply znew.
- Force recompression from .Z to .gz format even if a .gz file already exists.
- Tests the new files before deleting originals.
- Verbose. Display the name and percentage reduction for each file compressed.
- Use the slowest compression method (optimal compression).
- Use pipes for the conversion to reduce disk space usage.
- Keep a .Z file when it is smaller than the .gz file; implies -t.
BUGSIf the -P option is used, znew does not maintain the timestamp if touch(1) does not support the -r option, and does not maintain permissions if chmod(1) does not support the --reference option.