amdump (8) - Linux Man Pages
amdump: back up all disks in an Amanda configuration
amdump - back up all disks in an Amanda configuration
amdump [--no-taper] [--exact-match] [-o
configoption...] config [host [disk...]...]
The command optionally takes a set of DLE specifications (see amanda-match(7)) to narrow the DLEs that will be dumped. All disks are dumped if no expressions are given.
If a file named hold exists in the configuration directory, amdump will wait until it is removed before starting the backups. This allows scheduled backups to be delayed when circumstances warrant, for example, if the tape device is being used for some other purpose. While waiting, amdump checks for the hold file every minute.
In some cases it is desirable to dump all Amanda clients to holding disk without writing anything to storage media. The --no-taper option instructs Amanda to not start the taper, and thus enter degraded mode immediately.
See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda.
- Specify the host and disk on which the command will work -- see the description of DLE specifications in amanda-match(7).
- The host and disk are parsed as exact values
- See the "CONFIGURATION OVERRIDE" section in amanda(8).
Here is a typical crontab entry. It runs amdump every weeknight at 1 a.m. as user bin:
0 1 * * 1-5 bin /usr/local/sbin/amdump daily
amdump: waiting for hold file to be removed
- The "hold" file exists and amdump is waiting for it to be removed before starting backups.
amdump: amdump or amflush is already running, or you must run amcleanup
- Amdump detected another amdump or amflush running, or the remains of a previous incomplete amdump or amflush run. This run is terminated. If the problem is caused by the remains of a previous run, you must execute amcleanup(8) and then rerun amdump.
The exit code of amdump is the ORed value of:
0 = success 1 = error 2 = a dle give strange message 4 = a dle failed 8 = Don't know the status of a dle (RESULT_MISSING in the report) 16 = tape error or no more tape
James da Silva <jds [at] amanda.org>
Stefan G. Weichinger <sgw [at] amanda.org>