fdformat (8) - Linux Man Pages
fdformat: low-level format a floppy disk
fdformat - low-level format a floppy disk
SYNOPSISfdformat [options] device
DESCRIPTIONfdformat does a low-level format on a floppy disk. device is usually one of the following (for floppy devices the major = 2, and the minor is shown for informational purposes only):
- /dev/fd0d360 (minor = 4) /dev/fd0h1200 (minor = 8) /dev/fd0D360 (minor = 12) /dev/fd0H360 (minor = 12) /dev/fd0D720 (minor = 16) /dev/fd0H720 (minor = 16) /dev/fd0h360 (minor = 20) /dev/fd0h720 (minor = 24) /dev/fd0H1440 (minor = 28) /dev/fd1d360 (minor = 5) /dev/fd1h1200 (minor = 9) /dev/fd1D360 (minor = 13) /dev/fd1H360 (minor = 13) /dev/fd1D720 (minor = 17) /dev/fd1H720 (minor = 17) /dev/fd1h360 (minor = 21) /dev/fd1h720 (minor = 25) /dev/fd1H1440 (minor = 29)
The generic floppy devices, /dev/fd0 and /dev/fd1, will fail to work with fdformat when a non-standard format is being used, or if the format has not been autodetected earlier. In this case, use setfdprm(8) to load the disk parameters.
- -f, --from N
- Start at the track N (default is 0).
- -t, --to N
- Stop at the track N.
- -r, --repair N
- Try to repair tracks failed during the verification (max N retries).
- -n, --no-verify
- Skip the verification that is normally performed after the formatting.
- -V, --version
- Display version information and exit.
- -h, --help
- Display help text and exit.
AUTHORWerner Almesberger (almesber [at] nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch)
AVAILABILITYThe fdformat command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/.