kissattach (8) - Linux Manuals
kissattach: Attach a KISS or 6PACK interface
NAMEkissattach, spattach - Attach a KISS or 6PACK interface
SYNOPSISkissattach [-b] [-6] [-l] [-m mtu] [-v] tty port [inetaddr]
Attach a KISS or a 6PACK interface to what is normally a tty line connected to a TNC in KISS or 6PACK mode. This program will turn itself into a background process. To down an interface send its attach process a SIGTERM.
Kissattach takes many of the parameters for the port from the axports(5) file. If the speed parameter in the file is not equal to zero then it is used for the serial port speed, a zero value means that no speed is set. The paclen parameter is used for the device mtu unless overridden by a value on the command line.
The tty argument will typically be that of a serial port with a KISS or 6PACK TNC attached, although it could be a pseudo tty or a KISS port emulator such as an SCC card. Kissattach supports BSD-style pseudo-terminals as well as the Unix98 pty's. If the tty argument is "/dev/ptmx", then Unix98 behaviour will automaticaly take effekt. With Unix98 pty's, the slave tty name could not be forseen. That's why kissattach will print the corresponding slave pty name as a separate line on stdout.
The port argument is the name of a port as given in the axports(5) file.
The optional inetaddr argument is the IP address of the new interface. Some time it was mandatory argument (although due to historical reasons this restriction is lifted if the old -i option is used). But there's really not a need for the interface to have an IP address assigned to.
- Use the 6PACK line discipline instead of KISS. This is the default if the program is called as spattach.
- -i inetaddr
- Set the internet address of the interface. This address may either be a dotted decimal address or a host name. This option is now depreciated and the program will complain about it, though still work.
- Log messages to the system log, the default is not to.
- Allow broadcasts on the interface (default no - because for e.g. samba broadcasts are a pain..)
- -m mtu
- Sets the mtu of the interface. If this value is not given then the value is taken from the paclen parameter in axports.
- Display the version.
Alan Cox GW4PTS <alan [at] cymru.net>
Jonathan Naylor G4KLX <g4klx [at] g4klx.demon.co.uk>