makewhatis (8) - Linux Man Pages
makewhatis: Create the whatis database
NAMEmakewhatis - Create the whatis database
SYNOPSISmakewhatis [-u] [-v] [-w] [-s sections ] [-c [catpath]] [manpath]
DESCRIPTIONmakewhatis reads all the manual pages contained in the given sections of manpath or the preformatted pages contained in the given sections of catpath. For each page, it writes a line in the whatis database; each line consists of the name of the page and a short description, separated by a dash. The description is extracted using the content of the NAME section of the manual page.
Since other languages use a different term for the NAME section, makewhatis recognizes the equivalent terms in Czech, Italian, Finnish, French, German and Spanish.
- Update database with new pages (file's status was last changed 24 hours ago)
- Verbose output
- Use manpath obtained from `man --path`
- -s sections
- Looks in the sections of manpath or catpath. If the option is absent, the MANSECT env var will be used. If it too is absent, the MANSECT setting in man.conf will be used.
- -c catpath
- The preformatted manual pages located in catpath are scanned. If the argument is not provided, it is assumed to be the first existing directory between /usr/man/preformat and /usr/man.
To rebuild only /usr/X11R6/man/whatis and /usr/local/man/whatis
- makewhatis /usr/X11R6/man /usr/local/man
To rebuild all the databases, including those of the Finnish, French and Italian translations
- LANGUAGE=fi:fr:it makewhatis -w