ghdl (1) - Linux Man Pages
ghdl: VHDL compiler/simulator
NAMEghdl - VHDL compiler/simulator
SYNOPSISghdl [command] [options] files...
DESCRIPTIONThis manual page documents briefly the ghdl command. This manual page was written for user of man, but is not as complete as the reference documentation.
OPTIONSThis program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of the main modes and options is included below. For a complete description, refer to the GHDL texinfo manual.
- Analysis, i.e. ghdl -a file.vhdl
- Elabortation, i.e. ghdl -e unit_name
- Run: run the simulation, i.e. ghdl -r unit_name
- Syntax-check, i.e. ghdl -s file.vhdl
- Clean: remove generated files, i.e. ghdl --clean
- -h, --help
- Help, i.e. ghdl --help
- Version, i.e. ghdl --version
- Name of the WORK library, i.e. ghdl -a --work=foo foo.vhdl
- Which VHDL standard (87|93|93c|00|02), i.e. ghdl -a --std=87 old.vhdl
- Which IEEE library (none|standard|synopsys|mentor), i.e. ghdl -a --ieee=synopsys broken.vhdl
- Disable VITAL restriction checking, i.e. ghdl -a --no-vital-checks unsupported_vital.vhdl
There are many more modes and options; please consult the documentation.
Executables created by GHDL have addition simulation options. The most important ones are listed below:
- Show options for simulation and execution.
Assert level at which to stop simulation (none|note|warning|error|failure), i.e. ./touchy_design --assert-level=note
- Stop simuation after TIME, i.e. ./design --stop-time=50ns --vcd=FILENAME
- Dump VCD to FILENAME (a waveform dump, viewable with--for instance--gtkwave), i.e. ./design --vcd=design.vcd --sdf=[TYPE=]PATH=FILENAME
- Back annotate SDF onto design using TYPE (min|typ|max), instance PATH, and SDF file FILENAME, i.e. ./sdf_design --sdf=typ=top/inst=inst.sdf
AUTHORThis manual page was written by Wesley J. Landaker <wjl [at] icecavern.net>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). It is released under the same terms as GHDL, i.e. the GNU General Public License. It was modified by Tristan Gingold to include it in the GHDL sources.
- gtkwave (1)
The texinfo manual fully documents GHDL. You may also browse it at <http://ghdl.free.fr/ghdl/index.html>.