printf (1) - Linux Man Pages
printf: format and print data
printf - format and print data
SYNOPSISprintf ,FORMAT /[,ARGUMENT/]...
Print ARGUMENT(s) according to FORMAT, or execute according to OPTION:
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
FORMAT controls the output as in C printf. Interpreted sequences are:
- double quote
- alert (BEL)
- produce no further output
- form feed
- new line
- carriage return
- horizontal tab
- vertical tab
- byte with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits)
- byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits)
- Unicode (ISO/IEC 10646) character with hex value HHHH (4 digits)
- Unicode character with hex value HHHHHHHH (8 digits)
- a single %
- ARGUMENT as a string with '\' escapes interpreted, except that octal escapes are of the form \0 or \0NNN
- ARGUMENT is printed in a format that can be reused as shell input, escaping non-printable characters with the proposed POSIX $'' syntax.
and all C format specifications ending with one of diouxXfeEgGcs, with ARGUMENTs converted to proper type first. Variable widths are handled.
AUTHORWritten by David MacKenzie.
REPORTING BUGSGNU coreutils online help: <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/>
Report printf translation bugs to <https://translationproject.org/team/>
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Full documentation at: <https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/printf>
or available locally via: info '(coreutils) printf invocation'