whois.jwhois (1) - Linux Man Pages
whois.jwhois: client for the whois service
NAMEjwhois - client for the whois service
SYNOPSISjwhois [ OPTIONS ]... [ QUERY ]
DESCRIPTIONjwhois searches Whois servers for the object on the command line.
The host to query is taken from a global configuration file, a configuration file specified on the command line, or selected directly on the command line.
- display version, authors and licensing information.
- display a short help text.
- -c FILE --config=FILE
- uses FILE as a configuration file instead of the default.
- -h HOST --host=HOST
- overrides any hosts in the configuration file and queries HOST directly.
- -p PORT --port=PORT
- specifies a port number to use when querying a HOST.
- -f --force-lookup
- forces a query to be made to a host even if a current object is available from the cache.
- -v --verbose
- outputs verbose debugging information while running (use this before sending a bugreport to ensure that it's indeed a bug and not a misconfiguration). You can increase the verbosity by giving several verbose commands to jwhois, such as -vv.
- -n --no-redirect
- disable features that redirect queries from one server to another.
- -s --no-whoisservers
- disable the built-in support for whois-servers.net.
- -a --raw
- send query verbatim to receiving hosts instead of rewriting them according to the configuration.
- -i --display-redirections
- display every step in a redirection (default is to display only the last answer).
- -d --disable-cache
- completely disable both reading and writing to cache.
- -r --rwhois
- force the query to use the rwhois protocoll instead of HTTP or whois.
- asks receiving rwhois servers to display the results in the DISPLAY display instead of the default dump display.
asks receiving rwhois servers to limit their responses to LIMIT matches.
RIPE EXTENSIONSTo use the options specified in RIPE Document 157, you need to change the format of the query slightly. If you were to search for all entries in the RIPE database which lists the admin-c, tech-c or zone-c as CO19-RIPE, you could use the following command syntax:
jwhois -h whois.ripe.net -- -i admin-c,tech-c,zone-c CO19-RIPE
-- is used to separate the RIPE options from the jwhois options.