xmlpretty (1) - Linux Man Pages
xmlpretty: XML pretty printer
xmlpretty - XML pretty printer
xmlpretty [--options] [filename]
DESCRIPTIONxmlpretty is the commandline interface to XML::Handler::YAWriter, acting as a tool to add and remove pretty printing to XML files.
xmlpretty has several methods to add human readablitiy.
If you want to add readablity without adding so-called ignorable whitespace, use it in the following way :
$ xmlpretty --AddHiddenNewline \ --AddHiddenAttrTab \ --CatchEmptyElement \ uglyfile.xml > prettyfile.xml
If you do not want to process the file further, but only want it human readable, add visible whitespace to the file as follows :
$ xmlpretty --PrettyWhiteNewline \ --PrettyWhiteIndent \ --CatchEmptyElement \ uglyfile.xml > prettyfile.xml
You may use YAWriter to clean whitespace from XML documents. This may work in 99% of the cases where you want to get rid of ignorable whitespace caused by the various forms of pretty printing.
$ xmlpretty --NoWhiteSpace \ --NoComments \ --AddHiddenNewline \ --AddHiddenAttrTab \ --CatchEmptyElement \ prettyfile.xml > cleanfile.xml
OptionsOptions are given in a gnu like --option idiom.
- AddHiddenNewline boolean
- Add hidden newline before ``>''
- AddHiddenAttrTab boolean
- Add hidden tabulation for attributes
- CatchEmptyElement boolean
- Catch empty Elements, apply ``/>'' compression
- CatchWhiteSpace boolean
- Catch whitespace with comments
- IsSGML boolean
- This option will cause start_document, processing_instruction and doctype_decl to appear as SGML. The SGML is still well-formed of course, if your SAX events are well-formed.
- NoComments boolean
- Supress Comments
- NoDTD boolean
- Supress DTD
- NoPI boolean
- Supress Processing Instructions
- NoProlog boolean
- Supress <?xml ... ?> Prolog
- NoWhiteSpace boolean
- Supress WhiteSpace to clean documents from prior pretty printing.
- PrettyWhiteIndent boolean
- Add visible indent before any eventstring
- PrettyWhiteNewline boolean
- Add visible newlines before any eventstring
- SAX1 boolean (not yet implemented)
- Output only SAX1 compilant eventstrings
Bugs:Automatic recoding between 8bit and 16bit does not yet work correctly !
AUTHORMichael Koehne, Kraehe [at] Copyleft.De
Thanks``Derksen, Eduard (Enno), CSCIO'' <enno [at] att.com> helped me with the Escape hash and gave quite a lot of usefull comments.
SEE ALSOperl and XML::Parser::PerlSAX