pam_motd (8) - Linux Man Pages
pam_motd: Display the motd file
pam_motd - Display the motd file
- pam_motd.so [motd=/path/filename]
- The /path/filename file is displayed as message of the day.
- The /path/dirname.d directory is scanned and each file contained inside of it is displayed.
- Don't run the scripts in /etc/update-motd.d to refresh the motd file.
When no options are given, the default is to display both /etc/motd and the contents of /etc/motd.d. Specifying either option (or both) will disable this default behavior.
MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
- Not all relevant data or options could be obtained.
- Memory buffer error.
- This is the default return value of this module.
The suggested usage for /etc/pam.d/login is:
session optional pam_motd.so
To use a motd file from a different location:
session optional pam_motd.so motd=/elsewhere/motd
To use a motd file from elsewhere, along with a corresponding .d directory:
session optional pam_motd.so motd=/elsewhere/motd motd_dir=/elsewhere/motd.d
pam_motd was written by Ben Collins <bcollins [at] debian.org>.
The motd_dir= option was added by Allison Karlitskaya <allison.karlitskaya [at] redhat.com>.