rc (8) - Linux Man Pages
rc: Start or stop INN daemons
NAMErc.news - Start or stop INN daemons
SYNOPSISrc.news [start | stop]
DESCRIPTIONrc.news can be used to start or stop innd and supporting programs. It checks to make sure INN is not already running, handles cases of unclean shutdown, finishes up tasks which might have been interrupted by the preceeding shutdown, e-mails certain boot-time warnings to newsmaster (as set in inn.conf), and is generally safer and easier than starting and stopping everything directly. It needs to be run as the news user so that files in pathrun are created with the right ownership (though this is less important for "rc.news stop").
Programs run and stopped by this script include:
- Always: innd is started or stopped.
- If doinnwatch is true in inn.conf: innwatch is started and stopped.
- If docnfsstat is true in inn.conf: ovdb_init is run; ovdb_server and ovdb_monitor are stopped.
- If rc.news.local exists in pathbin: rc.news.local is run with argument "start" or "stop" (to perform site-specific startup or shutdown tasks).
- If the first argument is "start", or no first argument is given, rc.news initiates INN startup.
- If the first argument is "stop", rc.news initiates INN shutdown. It is recommended to throttle the server first as described in ctlinnd(8).
EXAMPLESTo start INN and leave certain error messages going to the terminal:
su -m news -c /etc/rc.news
To run INN at startup time from appropriate system boot scripts:
su -m news -c /etc/rc.news >/dev/console
To stop INN (throttling first):
<pathbin>/ctlinnd throttle reason su -m news -c '/etc/rc.news stop'
BUGSRunning "rc.news start" as root is never the right thing to do, so we should at minimum check for this and error, or perhaps change effective user ID.
HISTORY// FIXME: any attribution for rc.news itself?
This manual page written by Jeffrey M. Vinocur <jeff [at] litech.org> for InterNetNews.