yencode (n) - Linux Manuals
yencode: Y-encode/decode binary data
yencode - Y-encode/decode binary data
SYNOPSISpackage require Tcl 8.2
package require yencode ?1.1.2?
::yencode::yencode ?-name string? ?-line integer? ?-crc32 boolean? (-file filename | ?--? string)
::yencode::ydecode (-file filename | ?--? string)
This package provides a Tcl-only implementation of the yEnc file encoding. This is a recently introduced method of encoding binary files for transmission through Usenet. This encoding packs binary data into a format that requires an 8-bit clean transmission layer but that escapes characters special to the NNTP posting protocols. See http://www.yenc.org/ for details concerning the algorithm.
- ::yencode::encode string
- returns the yEnc encoded data.
- ::yencode::decode string
- Decodes the given yEnc encoded data.
- ::yencode::yencode ?-name string? ?-line integer? ?-crc32 boolean? (-file filename | ?--? string)
- Encode a file or block of data.
- ::yencode::ydecode (-file filename | ?--? string)
- Decode a file or block of data. A file may contain more than one embedded file so the result is a list where each element is a three element list of filename, file size and data.
- -filename name
- Cause the yencode or ydecode commands to read their data from the named file rather that taking a string parameter.
- -name string
- The encoded data header line contains the suggested file name to be used when unpacking the data. Use this option to change this from the default of "data.dat".
- -line integer
- The yencoded data header line contains records the line length used during the encoding. Use this option to select a line length other that the default of 128. Note that NNTP imposes a 1000 character line length limit and some gateways may have trouble with more than 255 characters per line.
- -crc32 boolean
- The yEnc specification recommends the inclusion of a cyclic redundancy check value in the footer. Use this option to change the default from true to false.
% set d [yencode::yencode -file testfile.txt] =ybegin line=128 size=584 name=testfile.txt -o- data not shown -o- =yend size=584 crc32=ded29f4f
BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACKThis document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category base64 of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation.
KEYWORDSencoding, yEnc, ydecode, yencode
Copyright (c) 2002, Pat Thoyts