I miss Gnome 2. How to install the MATE fork of Gnome 2 on Fedora 17?
MATE is already included into Fedora 17’s repository and is an official feature of Fedora 18.
To install MATE on Fedora 17
# yum install @mate-desktop
To install softwares usually needed:
# yum install mate-media mate-screensaver mate-system-monitor mate-power-manager mate-utils mate-image-viewer mate-terminal
Then Set MATE as the default desktop environment and enjoy ;)
Several GNOME applications have been forked and renamed:
- Caja – File manager (from Nautilus)
- Pluma – Text editor (from Gedit)
- Eye of MATE – Image viewer (from Eye of GNOME)
- Atril – Document Viewer (from Evince)
- Engrampa – Compression tool (from File Roller)
- MATE Terminal – Terminal emulator (from GNOME Terminal)
- Marco – Window manager (from Metacity)
More: MATE apllications.
After installing the MATE version of the tools, you may also remove the gnome version:
# yum erase eog file-roller nautilus gedit gnome-terminal gnome-screensaver gnome-media gnome-system-monitor gnome-power-manager gnome-utils
If you want to remove the gnome desktop (core parts)
# yum erase gnome-session gnome-desktop3 gnome-session-xsession gnome-shell
To remove more gnome programs:
# yum erase gnome-themes gnome-menus gnome-search-tool gnome-video-effects gnome-bluetooth gnome-screenshot