rpmdep (1) - Linux Man Pages
rpmdep: display the full dependency of an installed rpm package
rpmdep - display the full dependency of an installed rpm package
DESCRIPTIONrpmdep is an improved 'rpm -qR' command : it search recursively for package dependencies, and resolvs all dependencies to package names. It can also prepare a file to build a graph of dependencies, with graphviz.
SYNOPSISrpmdep.pl [options] package
-help brief help message -man full documentation -V, --version print version -use-cache use cache file instead rpm query -clear-cache clear cache file -verbose verbose -dot dotfile build a dot file for graphviz -depending instead of dependencies, display dependings -all works on all installed packages
REQUIRED ARGUMENTSa package to analyse. Only one name may be given. It is not necessary if you are using the -all option.
- Print a brief help message and exits.
- Print the manual page and exits.
- Print the program release and exit.
- The program works and print debugging messages.
- create a dot file to be used by graphviz. in normal call, an arrow from a to b means that a package depends (uses) b package. in dependings call, an arrow from a to b means that a package is used by b package.
- the rpm query may be long (10 to 30 s). If you will run an rpmorphan tool several time, this option will allow to gain a lot of time : it save the rpm query on a file cache (first call), then use this cache instead quering rpm (others calls).
- to remove cache file. Can be used with -use-cache to write a new cache.
- instead of showing package dependencies (rpm -qR), display packages wich are depending upon the given argument : it then act as an improved 'rpm -q --whatrequires' command
- rpmdep will then work on all installed packages, and display the results sorted by the number of depends (or dependings).
USAGEget the full list of dependencies for rpmrebuild package
get the full list of dependencies for rpmrestore package and build the graph data file (rpmrestore.dot)
rpmdep.pl -dot rpmrestore.dot rpmrestore
build a png graph image from the graph data
dot -Tpng rpmrestore.dot -o rpmrestore.png
get depending package of perl
rpmdep.pl --depending perl
check is a package is an orphan
rpmdep.pl --depending afick-gui
list all package dependencies
list all packages dependings and prepare a graph
rpmdep.pl -a --depending --dot alldep.dot
FILESthe program can use the /tmp/rpmorphan.cache file
DIAGNOSTICSthe verbose mode allow to see all the recursive work
others messages are
- package ... is not installed
- this is not a name of an installed package
- ... has no dependencies
- this can comes for some admin tools (ash for example)
- ... depends upon (list)
- return a list of sorted and comma separated packages
- ... is needed by (list)
- return the depending package list
- no depending : ... is an orphan
- the given package has no depending packages : it is an orphan
EXIT STATUSO if all is ok
DEPENDENCIESyou should use graphviz to build graph from
BUGS AND LIMITATIONSthe program does not work well on program installed in several versions
NOTESthis program can be used as ``normal'' user
LICENSE AND COPYRIGHTCopyright (C) 2008 by Eric Gerbier This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
you can report any bug or suggest to gerbier [at] users.sourceforge.net